Indianola Presbyterian Church is a community of inquiry, prayer, and action. At IPC you will find an open and questioning spirit, a wide range of spiritual engagement, and a commitment to social justice in the world.
The congregation is rich in ethnic and socioeconomic diversity, coming from virtually every walk of life. We come together because of shared spiritual needs and concerns about how God works in our lives. We are a community that empasizes the ministry of lay persons. We seek to be a place where ministry to families, youth singles, university students, staff, and faculty members flourishes.
On July 4, 1909, the first service of what was to become Indianola Presbyterian Church was held in a tent pitched on a lot on the northeast corner of Fifteenth and Indianola Avenues. In November of that year, the Presbytery of Columbus granted permission for the organization of IPC, with 118 charter member constituting the congregation.
After seven years of holding services in a house, the congregation built the main building of the present church at the intersection of Iuka, Waldeck and Eighteenth Avenues. On September 17, 1916, the congregation marched to the first service in its new building in a procession headed by a fife and drum corps.
IPC grew steadily until it became the second largest Presbyterian church in Columbus, after Broad Street Presbyterian, with over 1400 members at mid-century. To accommodate the large membership and its many programs, in 1956 the congregation built Thompson Hall, dedicated “to the memory of the Reverend W.O. Thompson, D.D., President of The Ohio State University, 1899-1925, Moderator of the General Assembly, 1926, one of the founders of this Church.”